30 Oct 2016

Oxytocin


People who have known me longer than a year may be surprised to learn that these days I only share 2 hugs most days.  I used to share hugs with heaps of people but I've needed to pull back.  Hugs are known to activate the secretion of oxytocin in the brain and this amazing chemical physically supports us in feeling loved, safe, trusting, connected, happy and calm.  A nice long hug (minimum of 30 seconds) has an extremely soothing effect on the body and in particular the nervous system.  Any form of touch will activate oxytocin and I have used many different techniques such as hugs and massage in my efforts to 'teach' my brain to secrete oxytocin.  Having been exposed to very little gentle or prolonged touch during childhood, my brain and body did not secrete oxytocin very well for decades.

Virginia Satir says we need 12 hugs per day and for the past decade I was in a very good position to achieve that and to help others achieve it too.  Over the past year as I have had massive life changes, my hug quotient has fallen drastically and I feel grateful that I have the knowledge of this system that I do.  Not getting enough oxytocin can impact our moods and physiology, leaving us to feel unsafe, sad, untrusting, anxious, afraid and even angry (as anger is energy borne from fear if like me, you follow the philosophy of there being only 2 energies - love and fear).  I'm grateful too for my husband who gives amazing hugs.

Oxytocin is secreted in new mums and bubs so they can bond at birth, during breastfeeding and, during orgasm for all genders.  It is a phenomenal part of our makeup that not everyone is aware of having or how to improve.  I also read somewhere years ago that feeling grateful secretes oxytocin as well and I must say it sure does feel like it to me these days.

Because the brain cannot actually tell the difference between what is real and what is make-believe, the hugs I give my baby doll-Self also count.  Hugging my Inner Child during meditation is also a real hug received for the brain.  All I need to do now is give that baby Me more hugs, in meditations and for real, and keep feeling grateful for every moment I'm alive, no matter what my ego wants me to perceive.  I hope you get your oxytocin flowing often too, it's amazingly effective particularly if you have experienced trauma or abuse of any kind in infancy.  I have found there's always hope and we truly do have all we need right here inside us to heal anything we think we lack in this life.  Oxytocin helps to really feel that.

https://www.facebook.com/RememberingUnity/posts/1122900994452600:0

RememberingUnity
fb.me/RememberingUnity
ॐ ॐ ॐॐ ॐ ॐ
lokah samasta sukhino bhavantu

#innerchild #mindfulness #life #inspiration #healingfromtrauma #followforfollow #awakening #light #selflove #raiseyourvibration #unity #spiritualgrowth #soul #gratitude #love #mythoughts   #energy #livinglife #positivevibes #peaceonearth #remembering #worklifemyway #beingreal
#weareallinthistogether #joyfullife #neuroscienceinaction #openheart

No comments:

Post a Comment