17 Aug 2016

Grateful



Today I'm allowing the effervescent and sparkling gold of excitement to course through me, awakening all joy receptors and sharpening my senses.  The power of practicing gratitude and devotion is so good for the brain and the heart and in fact, for the whole being.  Oxytocin is a chemical that is secreted in our brains through touch, childbirth, breastfeeding and feeling grateful. Oxytocin makes us feel happy, connected, trusting and safe.  Hugs, having a massage or foot massage, touch therapies, handshakes, getting your hair done, and saying out loud what you feel grateful for can all release oxytocin in our brains.

I began practicing daily gratitude about 9 years ago when I challenged myself to find one thing every day to feel grateful for.  My family brought me a beautiful dragon notebook and I chose it to hold my thanks.  I really struggled at first so I just kept it small and simple: "Today I feel grateful that I want to feel grateful".  "Today I feel grateful that I have a roof over my head".  "Today I feel grateful for coloured socks".  I would write it down and read it out loud every morning.  As each day passed, I became more mindful and aware of things to feel grateful for and it grew from there.  These days every journal entry begins with "I feel....."  Because I feel grateful for being able to feel feelings after so long of not being able to feel anything but the pain borne of not feeling feelings.

Yesterday I was folding washing.  As I'm only able to do laundry occasionally here, there was quite a pile and although I was in a positive frame of mind, my energy began to drop quickly.  Noticing this, my mind brought up the idea of refugees who are not able to do any laundry or homeless people who may only have the clothes on their backs.  I felt immediately grateful that I have laundry to do and I chose in that moment to chant mantras which instantly made my heart soar.  I then felt grateful for having the opportunity to know and learn these fabulous tools and the time, space and willingness to practice using them.  I also noticed how quickly the time passed, how much more I got done and, how little pain was present in my body.  I usually don't finish tasks like that because I get very sore but that didn't happen yesterday at all and I got everything finished - with joy in my heart.  I sat my baby doll inner child up near me and sang the devotion of the mantras to her and I'm sure that helped too.  Today I'm off to meditate and give of myself in service, 2 of my favourite things to do.  Being around beautiful souls who's only intent is to be real and allow me to be real without censorship or controlling each other is like dessert for my Soul.  To be accepted exactly as I am is a bliss I now gift myself in each moment.  

As my spirit soars and my ego surrenders to the true beauty of life, I cannot help but feel grateful to be alive and at one with creation in all its splendour.  Waking up naturally to greet the sun when he climbs into the sky after kissing the moon goodbye is beginning to grow on me.  Hearing the chants of the birds, frogs and insects outside is calming and cheery in the foggy dawn.  As angels alight in my consciousness to guide me through the day my mind greets me with 'Om Shanti': peace.  And indeed the tranquility of pink fills my heart with gentle warmth and glee.  With arms wide open, I greet this day, as every day, with love in my heart and hugs at the ready.

Today I feel grateful that I have the petrol to get to my meditation and service.  May you find at least one thing to feel grateful for today to get the oxytocin in your brain flowing too.  

https://www.facebook.com/RememberingUnity/posts/1060610684014965:0

ॐ ॐ ॐॐ ॐ ॐ

RememberingUnity
fb.me/RememberingUnity

lokah samasta sukhino bhavantu

#innerchild #mindfulness #life #inspiration #vibration #healing #followforfollow #awakening #light #selflove #raiseyourvibration #unity #spiritualgrowth #soul #gratitude #love  #mythoughts   #energy #livinglife #positivevibes #peaceonearth #remembering #beingreal #beingtrue #ॐॐॐ
#weareallinthistogether #om #aum

No comments:

Post a Comment