8 Aug 2011

Day 2

Woke up this morning feeling free but instantly aware that I have not had a cig since 4am yesterday.  I really wanted to stay in bed today.  I really have an urge to curl up in bed for 1 whole day and I don't have time to do that for the next four weeks (drat).  Had a cup of earl grey again this morning, miss my coffee.  I used to drink too much coffee too but have cut down to 1 huge mug a day (unless I go out, which isn't very often).  I have my huge mug of coffee each morning and that's it BUT....I don't eat anything until noon and I don't drink any other fluid before 6pm!  It's insane and I'm trying to change it but my brain does not register thirst and only tells me I'm hungry when I am feeling starved.  Oh well, hopefully deciding to become a non-smoker will help me to reset my brain somehow.  Reptilian brain trauma - who'd have it?

excerpt from 'Trauma Informed Healing' by Heal for Life Foundation (Aus)

" Reptilian brain (instinctual):  The first brain to develop automatically controls the body's basic, vital functions such as heart rate, breathing, balance, body temperature, hunger, thirst and sexual urges.  It regulates the chemical balances and the rhythms of the body.  The reptilian brain includes the main structures found in a reptile's brain: the brainstem and the cerebellum, and is responsible for the basic emotions of fear, hate, contentment and rage.  Although reliable, the reptilian brain tends to be somewhat primitive, rigid and compulsive (Bone, 2009).  The actions of the reptilian brain are automatic and outside conscious control...

·        The brain stem is the area between the thalamus and the spinal column.  It houses the processes of our brain that are the most basic and vital to our survival such as heart rate, breathing, blood pressure, etc.

·        The cerebellum (Latin for ‘little brain’): scientists know relatively little about the cerebellum so far.  It is believed to be involved in physical movement, balance, language, music, posture, motor control and coordination but scans have shown it is also activated when the brain is processing mental tasks.  Jay Giedd says of the cerebellum:  

“It's like a math co-processor. It's not essential for any activity ... but it makes any activity better. Anything we can think of as higher thought, mathematics, music, philosophy, decision-making, social skill, draws upon the cerebellum “ (Frontline, PBS, 2002).

The cerebellum houses 50% of the neurons found in the brain despite the fact that it occupies only 10% of the total area of the brain.  Neurons link the cerebellum with the motor cortex.  A number of researchers are exploring a newly hypothesized connection between the cerebellum, dyslexia; learning problems; speech deficits; verbal memory; and cognitive, linguistic and affect disturbances (Dynevor , 2009-2010 ).  Disturbances in motor coordination and muscular weakness are apparent in people with cerebellum trauma.  Survivors of extreme trauma appear to have a high incidence of dyslexia (Heal For Life Foundation, 2011).   

After dinosaurs, our brains evolved a system of warning for danger that was automatic and able to ‘learn’. "
xoxoxoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment