31 Jan 2013

The Power of Positivity

I remember, sometimes with sadness, how negative and pessimistic I used to be. I was given a book by my chiropractor called 'Learned Optimism' by Martin Seligman and although I really loved it, I couldn't fathom how anyone could be positive about anything. I literally could not get my head around it at all. It was a blessing because it made me start to wonder. It made me start to question my own beliefs and values. It took me a long time to begin to even grasp the concept of optimism.

That was over 15 years ago and although I am far from perfect, (and I know I don't need to be), I feel extremely positive and optimistic in any given moment. I believe it is my faith that has got me to where I am. I had such huge trust issues before and now I am learning to trust God, I feel so differently about things. I no longer feel the need (or the responsibility) to control things. I believe now, that I can get through anything. I can (and do) encourage others. I can love me and others too. I can 'let go'. I can accept things as they are with calm in my heart and, I can recognise very quickly when I slip back into negativity and pessimism and choose to change it whenever I want.

I'm not sure how anyone put up with me back then, I imagine I would have been like a black hole, sucking energy from every source. Now I can feel the Light inside and around me and I love how it feels.

Onwards and upwards eh?

xxjxx

No comments:

Post a Comment