22 Jan 2013

Man of steel

I feel very grateful for the opportunity to talk about my granddad this morning, to share with another man the eternal gift my granddad gave me for life - unconditional love. I am very lucky. I had 2 grandparents who loved me because I was me and no behaviour or mistake I made ever changed that love. I am far from perfect but they were never even disappointed in me, no matter what. They just loved me and accepted that I was me. I never felt any pressure to be any more than who I am with them and it was easy to be loving, kind, genuine and respectful with them because they showed me, in their own attitudes and behaviours, role modelled for me so I would know and learn. They were my godparents at baptism and although they were not religious or even church-going, they showed me the way to God through their love. My granddad was a man of steel. He did not roar or argue. He did not shout or fight. He stood his ground and he deliberated. He had infinite patience and tremendous love and he was fair. Many in my family feared his displeasure and tip-toed around, warning others to 'behave' or else but I always looked for (and found) the twinkle in his eyes that told me he was not angry, not solemn, usually teasing. I could tell that sometimes their anxiety and silliness got to him but he would just leave the room and do something he enjoyed. He'd come back later and there would be no sign of anything but his usual peace and calm. He was a man of steel and a man of love and I wish he were here so I could ask him how he did it but I know him- he would smile and say " don't let it get to ya honey, you just worry about you and let them worry about them" . I love you granddad and I still miss you every day.

xxjxx

No comments:

Post a Comment