24 Feb 2014

Life experience matters

I wash 15 before I figured out how to wash my body properly instead of just letting water fall over it.  I was 17 before I learned to iron clothes and to this day I hate it.  I learned to apply makeup from Dolly magazine.  I learned to cook properly from Australian Women's Weekly and in Home Economics at school.  I learned English from Christine Lovatt and Mr Wisdoms Whopper.  I learned mathematics from living hand-to-mouth throughout my late teens.  I learned optimism from counsellors.  

I'm still learning about hair care, skin care, nutrition, exercise, my body, my brain, my feelings, my spirituality and my self.  I am now 45.

There is no one to blame for my lack of information.  My mother taught me all that she knew and then some.  Sadly, she didn't know about self care either.  Had my father been there, he would have had little more to share.  Self care was not included in their own upbringings.  

I feel sad about all the people who even now, do not have any concept of self care, self worth, self esteem, self love or self nurturing.  I know people who don't know how to wash dishes, who don't know how to sweep, mop or vacuum a floor, how to cook or clean, how to wash, how to iron, how to brush their teeth, how to say yes or no, how to "be".  Every one of these people has extraordinary gifts of their own.  Many are completely unaware of the information they lack.  Each is incredible in many ways and, they have taught me to judge less and love more.

Although I have grieved what I thought I lacked, I have a huge appreciation for what I've got and my motto is: "if I've learned something new, I've had a very good day".

I don't want to be a genius, nor do I consider 'knowledge' all that important.  I am simply trying to provide the child parts of me with enough learning to grow up in a healthy, well adjusted way, with nurturing, good health and nutrition and to have reasonable expectations of myself.  and I am very happy to encourage others to do that in their own way too.

xxjxx


No comments:

Post a Comment